Thursday, March 1, 2012

Christmas Advent Calendar



















I love Christmas advent calendars and wanted to make one for my two daughters. I thought about it for a while and decided I did not want to add candy or toys to each day as my children already get the paper chocolate calendars. I just wanted it to be something fun the girls could take turns flipping over each morning.

After some searching, I found this great calendar idea on

I really like what Shannon did and decided to modify for my family. I used her templates for the ornament shapes and numbers. For the back side of the ornament, I used Shannon’s templates through #13 and after that I made up my own images.

My changes:

Background
I made my background a rectangle that is large enough to fit the ornaments with about 2 “ of breathing room all around. My final size is: 23” x 26.5”














Ornaments
I used Shannon’s templates up to # 13 then made my own. See images. I cut everything out free hand using the extra felt I already had.

Hooks
I used the hook and eye closure Shannon suggests. I used both the hook and eyelet. I sewed the hook on the background and sewed the eyelet on the ornament. I covered up my sewing by gluing a small piece of felt that ended up looking like the piece of metal on the top of a real ornament. I also hammered out the curve in the eyelet with a mallet so the ornaments hang flat. My girls take turns flipping an ornament each day and they are excited to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment